Monday, May 27, 2013

Senior Moment In Seoul

We both managed to get a few hours sleep on our SQ SIN-ICN flight. The configuration was identical to that on the first plane, although the seats in the Airbus 330 seemed just a little narrower than those in the 777.

The IFE (in-flight entertainment) controls were handier on the second flight, even though it might have an older system.

This was the flight on which we'd elected to "Book The Cook" (why not?) and our meals were delivered promptly after our delayed 12:40 a.m. takeoff. Brian enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass but the olive flavor was not to Kathy's liking. On the other hand, her Chicken Tikka was spicy and tasty, and the meals were clearly the best airline meals we've had this trip - at least since our YVR-SYD flight on AC.

We'll see how AC measures up on the return. We're already looking forward to AC's flatbed seats.

On our Tripit reservations it appears that we had booked the ICN Airport Queen Hotel several kilometers off-site, albeit with a free shuttle.

Rather than "transit," we formally entered South Korea with a minimum of fuss - the photo and digital fingerprints were quick and easy - and a polite young woman at an information kiosk give us a phone line to the hotel, who politely told Brian they had no record of a reservation. Maybe we switched to the transit hotel?

We already had our AC BPs so we departed from Korea (not so much as a raised eyebrow from the employee at the desk) and went through security. Again, that was quite reasonable with only metal detectors to walk through. The security people did want all of the electronics pulled out of our bag and run through the X-Ray again. It's amazing how many gadgets and gidgets we carry with an on-off switch or the equivalent.

There was no reservation at the transit hotel for us but a room is available for a minimum six-hour rental for about $68 USF. We're sitting in it now and will nap for awhile, shower later and check out around 2:00 p.m. local time.

Our final flight doesn't board until 3:50 p.m. We bumped up one more hour here so as we write this it's close to 9:20 a.m. May 28, while back home it's 5:20 p.m. May 27.

We're arriving at YVR on the morning of the 28th, and this non-stop flight will ensure that we arrive before we left, so to speak.

Once home, we'll check to see if we have a reservation for either hotel - or worse pre-paid some other hotel. Another task after this experience will be to double check every single night and travel connection for our August trip to South Africa.

But for now, it's time to snooze.

No comments: